What is a Software Token?
A software token ("soft token") is a software-based security token (rather than a hardware-based token, such as a physical key fob). The software token can be stored on the laptop, desktop, smartphone or other electronic device.
Software tokens are used for authentication purposes. Primarily, software tokens are used as the second factor in two-factor authentication solutions (with the password being the first factor).
Benefits of a Software Token
Software tokens have many advantages over other alternatives including
- software token can replace passwords, eliminating dozens of username and password combinations to memorize
- software tokens used for 2FA on accounts increase security
- biometric authentication readers can be prohibitively expensive per machine, whereas software tokens are comparatively cost-effective
- less hardware to maintain
- much faster user onboarding and password propagation
- cost-effective access control infrastructure
Touchless, contactless, passwordless 2FA with continuous authentication. One key for all your passwords. Experience fully automated login and security. Instant 2FA, auto-OTP, password manager and worry-free workflow with proximity-based privileged access management for Windows 10, 8, 7, macOS, desktop applications, and websites.